Friday, March 18, 2011

walk the walk?

On Wednesday, Jackson had an appt with his acne dr in Yorkville (not a city gal, but I love Yorkville!). Most recent course of topical therapy hasn't been terribly effective, and Dr B wants us to consider Accutane. Accutane is a scary sounding drug! I've done some research, and I feel the possible side effects are too scary to even consider letting my baby take it. Wreck your liver or colon, just to get rid of acne??? Seems ridiculous to even consider it. Now having said all of that, I have been wanting the kiddos to visit my fabulous ND, Lia, for some time now. I broached the topic with J this a.m., and he's not terribly thrilled with the prospect of giving up wheat/sugar/dairy, which I think will likely be the first course of action she prescribes. BUT, I have had such incredible success with the therapies she has me on, that I think it's worth a try. And I mean really great success. Without being too graphic, I don't give Lady MacBeth a run for her money anymore...ok, I borrowed that line from Marian Keyes, but it fits :)

Then I read an eco-blog I follow about being "eco" at work, and the comment was made about "walking the walk, not just talking the talk." And I realized that if I let my precious child take a potentially dangerous drug, when I won't even take ibuprophen anymore, then I am not practising what I preach. Up until now, I haven't *inflicted* my lifestyle and health choices too much on my kiddos, but maybe it's time. I want them to be as healthy as possible. And on another more selfish note, if they are following the same diet, then there won't be stuff I can't eat in the house either. And as an additional selling point--it will likely enhance their athletic abilities as well. It would be awesome for Blake Griffin to come out and endorse naturopathy, that would so help my cause! (for the uninitiated, Blake is the hottest rookie in the NBA this year, was drafted last year, but missed the season due to injury, spent the healing time training his *smokin' hot* bod, and has taken the league by storm) Or Georges St-Pierre (you know, GSP from the UFC...Whew, is it warm in here?? lol)

So, in my own convoluted way, I am trying to say that I need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. And that needs to start at home. It's time for me to be a little more persistent with my own family, get them on the walk too.

Speaking of walking, took my Chasey-pup for a lovely, sunny 5k walk yesterday. She needs a little help walkin' the walk too, she's a little *plumper* than she's ever been. (winter doldrums, you know) What a glorious, sunny springy day! Nothing beats walking with your bestie, sunshine on your face! Not so much sun here in Dundalk today, but I have hope, it is coming! Spring is on the way....

Have a glorious Friday...

No comments: