Tuesday, March 22, 2011

back to the grind

March break flew by! Yesterday was the first day back to school, and I'm exhausted already. Is it the getting up, showered and dressed (big effort compared to last week!), and then spending the day at school that's got me tired? Is it the planning for a supply teacher for today and tomorrow because I'm back at the board office working on the huge math assessment again? I don't know. I do know that the kids were wacky (especially the class I teach French to!), my own kids were grumpy and tired last night, and waking up with a headache is never a good sign.

But there are a lot of things for which to be grateful:

1. Jess got her acceptance letter for Wilfred Laurier University. So now she can choose where she goes (and likely partly explains why she was freaked out last night), and has an entrance scholarship at Laurier and Lakehead. Hard work does pay off!
2. Yoga tonight. It has become such an important part of my life and I am soooo excited before class! Like a kid going to Disney. And that's a good thing.
3. Compliments about my kiddos. Really. When supply or student teachers find out who your kids are, and have glowing compliments about their behaviour and smarts, it feels great. Maybe I'm not doing a bad job after all!
4. Good friends. People (at work and outside of work) who I enjoy spending time with, and enjoy my company as well. I am truly blessed.
5. Supportive family and spouse. They see me at my absolute worst, and pick me up and brush me off when I need it. They also share my great joys. Again I'm truly blessed.
6. Living in a country where women have as many opportunities for education and career advancement as men. I'm always working toward the next step (can you say driven?!), and although I sometimes drive myself crazy, I know how lucky I am. I cannot imagine not having an education, or not having the opportunity to have a wonderful career. I can only imagine what a miserable *creature* I would be to live with then!

So while I do a lot of grumbling and complaining, I know I am very lucky. I have a wonderful life, filled with blessings. I love my family, I love my friends, I love my class.

If you are reading this, then there's a good chance you are one of the wonderful family or friends that I mentioned above. Thanks!

Have a wonderful Tuesday :)

No comments: