Saturday, October 1, 2011

October, already? Seriously?!

It's October.  Already.  And it's World Vegetarian Day.  Probably not the best day to have planned a birthday party for a certain 43 year old carnivore!  We won't be eating vegetarian today, but there are lots of days that I do eat vegetarian.  Maybe tomorrow can be Bolyea Vegetarian Day.

I can't believe it's October already.  September was a blur of busy-ness.  Both on the homefront and at school.  I am exhausted.  It's always such a crazy month.  I dream of having a large vegetable garden, but at the present I realize that there just plain and simply aren't any days or energy left for wrapping up a garden in September.  So while there are plans afoot for a bigger veggie plot next year, it won't be huge.  Because I haven't completely taken leave of my senses.  The really big garden will likely happen about the same time as I get chickens.  Not until my own chicks are all living on their own, and I have time to fill.  Or at are all driving and can get themselves to all of the after-school activities.

I'm feeling just a little behind these days.  I have a ton of work that I need to catch up on for school, and I need to knock off a bunch of assignments for the course I'm taking.  This past week has been NUTS, and I haven't gotten much of anything done!  Not a single evening spent at home.  Perhaps that's why I'm completely exhausted?  And even this morning, not able to sleep past 5:30.  Which compared to 3:30 or 4:00 is actually sleeping in, right?! 

Everyone else is still sleeping, so I'm basking in the peacefulness of the quiet.  Coffee beside me, computer to myself, sleeping doggy on one side, sleeping kitty on the other side.  I guess Allistair Cookie the kitty boy wasn't ready to uncuddle when I woke up.  It's been delightful to have him sleeping with me, cuddled up against my legs.  And Chase the wonderdog is my constant shadow when I'm home, so no surprise that she is curled up next to me, snoring away.

My girl chicky is home from school for the weekend, bringing with her a lovely friend.  This friend is adorable and oh, so much like Jess.  It was a very fun drive home from Orillia with the 2 girlies laughing and talking and keeping me company.  It gives me hope that we will get through the rougher parenting times with the boys and one day we will have those laughter filled car rides again too.

I had a great phone conversation with my sister on the way to Orillia.  I am truly grateful to have a sister that I can talk to, and who understands.  Yesterday was a very sad day for her and her family.  They had to have their darling dog, Lily, put to sleep.  They are devastated.  And we've had many talks lately about coming to that final decision.  Lily has not been well, and they have done everything they could possibly have done to try to keep her for a few more years.  But sadly, Lily was not going to get better and they made the difficult decision to let her go, for her own good.  It is truly a gift of love and compassion, but it also rips your heart out of your chest, and feels like someone is crushing it in their hands.  It's been 3 years since I had to make that kinder decision for my dog Bailey, but it is as fresh in my mind as if it were me in that vet's office yesterday.  My heart hurts for them, and I'm so sad because I too loved Lily.  Our family dogs are like our family children--we all love them all dearly and have them in our hearts too.  Someday they will be ready to love another dog, but for now they need to heal.

This post didn't start out to be sad and be written with tears spilling down my face.  Honest, it didn't.  But I often find myself letting the words and thoughts go where I obviously need them to go.  And I guess today is another one of those days. 

On a much happier note, we are celebrating Rick's 43rd birthday today!  Most of the family is coming over and we will eat, drink and be merry.  It will be nice to have everyone in our house.  It was kind of going to be an inside and outside on the deck get together, but unless everyone wears their long johns and winter coats I think we'll stay inside.  Cold fall weather here today.  I don't think my brother's family will be able to come, since my nephew Fisher had his tonsils and adenoids out this week, and he is still recovering.  We will miss them.  Luckily next weekend is Thanksgiving, and we will also be celebrating Fisher's 5th birthday.  Another birthday cake!  And pumpkin pie!  Two things that make my heart go pitter pat :)

Since I have rambled on enough, and I only have about a million things to do before this afternoon's guests arrive, I will humbly sign off for today.

Wishing everyone a beautiful, happy, peaceful fall day.  Stay warm and enjoy the day.

No comments: