Sunday, October 16, 2011

The basement chronicles

I spent literally hours in the basement cleaning and sorting yesterday.  And I'm not nearly done.  I unpacked several boxes from when we moved into this house 4 years ago.  Funny how I never procrastinate with tasks that involve only brainpower, but this....well, now I have more stuff to decide what to do with.  I made a big pile for the dump.  And feel ill with guilt.  Junk for the landfill?  But it is irreparable.  And much of it is junk I inherited from my grandmothers' homes after their passings--because I couldn't let it go to the dump.  And I have serious hoarding tendencies.  I did find Jessie's birth certificate that's been missing for 4 years.  But it's been replaced.  So I saved it to prove to her that I didn't really lose it, just packed it.

There is a lot of stuff that will go to the Salvation Army Thrift store as well, and lots of stuff for recycling.  I'm trying to get past that pile that's headed for landfill.  I have boxes and boxes books.  None of the thrift stores will take books, the second-hand stores don't want them, I guess they'll go into recycling.  Which seems wrong.  But what else can I do with them?  If anyone knows of a place that will take books, please let me know.  I've held onto these for 20 years (or more) collectively, because I didn't know what else to do with them.  But I need to get them out of my house, or when I'm 60 I will end up living in a house piled floor to ceiling with stuff, and will have to crawl over it to get to the kitchen and bathroom and will end up having social services come and declare me unfit for independent living.  And then when the clean-up crew comes to empty the house, they will find Rick buried and decaying under piles of stuff.  And I won't be able to tell them the last time I saw him because I will have been so worried about caring for my 20 cats and 15 dogs. 

A dramatic little scenario, but I'm sure this is where it starts.  So if you know who can help me out with the books, I think my husband will thank you.  And I'm making him give the huge box of my dad's books back.  I don't need it in my basement.  They can recycle them.

I still have lots of stuff to sort.  I have so many board games that my kids will never play again.  Those will go to school.  I have boxes of teaching resources to sort and purge.  If I haven't looked at it or used in the last 5 years, it's going.  I will never use it again.

Guilt aside, purging "stuff" is very freeing.  It feels like a weight has been lifted.  It's my goal to create a gym area in the basement, a decent place to lift weights.  The treadmill is down there, and now that's it's cleaner, I won't raise my blood pressure when I'm running on it and will want to use it more.  I'd like to get some of the cushiony square tiles for that area.  I don't know that I will ever have a yoga area down there, it's not that peaceful feeling as it is, but a spot for other exercising would be great.

So while I didn't get to yoga yesterday, I did get a kind of yoga feeling.  Less stuff creates peace.  And today I'm going to make Rick help me finish, so that it's truly peaceful feeling.  Once it's finished he'll have peace too--because I won't be nagging him anymore :)

Have wonderful Sunday.  It looks like a nicer day today than yesterday, hopefully nice enough for a long run.

No comments: