Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Happiness Project ponderings

As promised, no more morbid, whiny posts.  I'm over it.  And myself, incidentally.
 
I've continued reading The Happiness Project.  And I like it.  As painful as some of it may be to put into practice.  My favourite resolution?  Be Gretchen (the author's name).  I've decided to adopt that one for myself.  Be Nicole.  While I don't really think I'm not good at being myself, I know I need to stop apologizing for being who I am.  I am slightly neurotic (maybe alot?).  I overthink and overanalyze everything.  I am a lover of nature (in educational terms, I'm a Naturalist learner) and our wonderful Earth, but I guess anyone who knows about the zoo that I keep at my house already figured that out.  For those who don't know--1dog, 2 cats, 3 rats, 2 rabbits, and a deep seated desire to have another dog, chickens, alpacas and a horse (or 5).  You can see why my darling hubs, non-animal person that he is, does not want to move to the country.  And accuses me of being a babystep away from being an animal hoarder.  But I digress....  I am creative.  I love children.  I am a teacher, and I am bossy.  I am a perfectionist, but I don't expect others to be perfect.  And I love learning.  Taking a university course is what I love to do in my spare time.  And I am a voracious reader.  Of anything and everything, but I really love Marian Keyes novels, and magazines.  Magazines are my favourite.  But they are expensive, and I have discovered reading blogs tickles my fancy just about as much as magazines.  And blogs are free reading.  I love to exercise, and yoga is my favourite.  Something about getting into asana is so freeing.  Even when I''m practising a bind.

I'm working on clearing the clutter that I blogged about before.  Both literally and figuratively.  I'm looking at my kitchen and family room right now, and it occurs to me that I have a ways to go.  But I'm working on it!  The one thing that I could say about The Happiness Project book, is that it has given me fresh new ideas, and things to consider about happiness.  Clutter-clearing is just one of them.

If anyone is feeling a little dissatisfied with their life, I suggest giving it a read.  You might be surprised at what you discover.  Or maybe not.  I know I have been.  

See, no more whining.  I am in a much better place today.  And I think part of it might just be because I spent some quality time with 2 of my nephews last night.  Something about hanging out with 4 & 1/2 year old and almost 1 year old boys gives new outlook on things.  They are darling.  Did you know that the cheetah is the fastest animal on the African savannah?  Just one little tidbit of knowledge imparted to me by my nephew.  And it's a fact well worth knowing.

Wishing everyone happiness, however you find it.  Because happiness and good health go hand in hand.

No comments: