Monday, January 2, 2012

Hello 2012!

2012 is here!  We have safely returned home from our Christmas/20th anniversary/first family vacation in the south ever, and the Canadian weather today is making me pine a little bit for the sunny Bahamas.  We got home just before the storm started last night, after driving all day from Baltimore.  The irony of it is that after driving safely for 12 hours, I can't drive 1/2 an hour this morning to my parents to get my very much missed doggy.  I can't wait to see my Chase the Wonderdog!

With the onset of a new year, comes the inevitable desire to make some resolutions.  And I'm going to keep it simple.  Eat healthily and move every day.  That's it.  A week of sloth after a month of eating whatever I wanted and I am ready to reaffirm my committment to good health.  My jeans are too tight and I am suffering from muffin-top.  Not to mention a constant need to clear my throat from eating dairy.  It's over.  Onward and upward!

Before the holiday I read the book "Wheat Belly".  Wow.  Talk about some frightening information.  And I can see myself totally.  And some of my family members.  I am appalled at what hybridization and genetic modification have done to a once reliable and economic food source.  So, I'm going to give it a try.  Cutting out wheat (even though I'm not officially sensitive to it according to blood tests), I'm curious what positive health effects I will see.  Some I can predict, some I'm not so sure about.  I do know that my ND has recommended cutting out milled grains before, so I'm actually going to go with it.  Will it be easy?  NO!  But hopefully after a few miserable detox days I should feel better. 

After a twinging iliopsoas again right before the trip, a week of relatively rest has made it feel better.  Running and yoga will recommence.  Glorious!

Wishing everyone a wonderful, prosperous and healthy New Year!  May all of your dreams and resolutions come true.

2 comments:

cargillwitch said...

I read that book on a friends suggestion. I have been off gluten for over two years now and it really made it easier to stick with knowing the manipulation the poor grain has undergone!Funny it was shortly afterward I was diagnosed with Sjogrens ( an autoimmune disorder) which the author believes may be triggered by the bodies reaction to the gluten protein. Wish I had cut it out years prior given my genetics

Nicole said...

So many things I have learned in the past few years, that I wish I had known in my youth. My mom has been healthier since giving up wheat products than she`s ever been. I found the book absolutely fascinating! And I totally understand the issues with genetics...