Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas parties and elusive sleep

Last night was the staff Christmas party.  Let's just say I work with some very funny people.  My face hurts from laughing.  I also coughed so hard I almost coughed up a lung.  Which would have put a damper on the party.  Or maybe not.  But what happens at the party stays at the party.  'Nough said.  I'm just glad I don't have a hangover!

But, I did get to bed at about 1 a.m.  And woke up for the day at 4 a.m.  It's going to be a very long day.  I imagine anxiety about our family Christmas is the reason I couldn't sleep.  It's going to be....interesting.  Christmas is my favourite time of year.  The magic of the season, the decorations, wrapping gifts, the whole deal.  Except then family Christmas get-togethers and the reality of holiday stress sets in.  And I come to the realization that I am no Martha Stewart.  Nor am I a model of patience.  Throw in a night with only 3 hours sleep--yeehaw!  Perhaps tomorrow I may be writing a Canadian Hangover screenplay.  I wonder how Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifinakis and Ed Helmsley feel about the Great White North?


The Hangover Poster

Throw in a couple Santa hats and some snow.  Can't you picture it?  Instead of Jagermeister the boys will be drinking Canadians and shooting Canadian Rye Whiskey laced with maple syrup.....but I digress.

I am weary.  I am possibly a little grumpy.  And I need to put on my happy face and act like a house full of people, all with strong opinions and sibling rivalry rearing its head is what I'm in the mood for.  I think a nap is in order, and likely a very long walk in the bush.  It will be loud, and chaotic and I will be grumpy, but isn't that what Christmas is all about?

Just in case anyone reading this thinks I'm being a bit Grinchy, you're right.  But I love my family and Christmas just wouldn't be the same without all of the things above.  Only Brad, Zach and Ed won't be there.

How do you deal with the anxiety and stress of the Christmas season?

Blessings for a beautiful Saturday friends.



No comments: