Sunday, February 20, 2011

restorative yoga?

Since I missed a Saturday yoga class when I had the stomach flu (UGH!), I asked the lovely Sarah if I could make it up on a Thursday. Which happens to be restorative yoga. So I arrived at the studio while Sarah was setting up. And we chatted a bit. She was setting up several "stations" for lack of a better word, complete with props like bolsters and blocks. She explained a little bit what we were going to be doing, and I expressed that I thought it would be challenging for me to stay still long enough...for about the 3rd or 4th time that we've talked about it!
5 stations for an 1 & 1/2 class. Now I'm not a math whiz, but even I could figure out that we would be in each asana for a looooong time. Class started, and it was so difficult for me to quiet my mind, and stop fidgeting. By the end I was having a little more success, but let's just say I prefer a more active class. I'm sure Sarah was amused watching me. I realize that it would be really good for me to do more restorative, and learn to be more meditative. And it's not that I didn't enjoy it, it was just very different. Hello ADHD!
Sarah left for Cuba right after class, so no yoga classes for the next week. Tuesday evening is over for a couple weeks...time to get my asana on at home, at start much home practice that I've been meaning to start since Christmas. Yoga Journal 21 day challenge, here I come!

One part of the restorative class that I really liked, our call for peace...Om shanti, shanti, shanti, shanti. Wishing the world peace and resolution of conflict, and prayers for those in Egypt and the other parts of the world experiencing so much strife.
Namaste.

No comments: